(Alexandria, MN) -- Prior to the Alexandria Cardinal Football team's season opener this evening in Andover, D-Mac spoke with Coach Mike Empting about the evolution and education of tackling, related to increase player safety.
Later today (Thursday), the Alexandria Cardinal Football team will start its regular season with a 7 p.m. game at Andover. This is a rematch of the 2017 season opener in Alexandria, which was won by the Cardinals 34-28. With a large number of new faces inserted into the starting lineup this season, part of the pre-season training has involved extensive training on tackling techniques, as the players learn more about the rugby-style of tackling. Coach Mike Empting recently spoke with KXRA Sports Director Dave McClurg on the tackling program of education being implemented this year. The segment in the audio player below is approximately six minutes in length.
Listen for LIVE broadcast coverage of Alexandria Cardinal Football from Andover this evening! D-Mac will be joined by Bob Cunniff for the game. Pre-game coverage will start at 6:40, with the play-by-play to follow at 7:00 on NewsTalk 1490 AM/100.3 FM, KXRA and also online, through the "Listen Live -- KXRA" option at www.voiceofalexandria.com.
Alexandria Cardinal activities schedule for Thursday, August 30th, 2018:
- Cross Country Running: Traveling to Multi-Events Complex in Thief River Falls to compete in the Thief River Falls Invitational. JV competition at 10 a.m., with the Varsity races to follow.
- Girls' Tennis: Traveling to Sartell High School. JV and Varsity matches simultaneously at 4:30 p.m.
- Boys' Soccer: Traveling to Sauk Rapids-Rice High School. JV and Varsity matches simultaneously at 5 p.m.
- Girls' Swimming and Diving: Traveling to Sauk Rapids-Rice High School. JV and Varsity meets simultaneously at 6 p.m.
- Girls' Soccer: Hosting Sauk Rapids-Rice at Viking Bank Field (Alexandria Area High School). JV match at 5 p.m., with the Varsity to follow at 7 p.m.
- Volleyball: Hosting Sauk Rapids-Rice at Pohlig Court (Alexandria Area High School). 9th grade, B-squad, and JV matches all at 5:45 p.m., with the Varsity to follow at 7 p.m.
- Football: Traveling to Husky Stadium in Andover (on the campus of Andover High School). Varsity game at 7 p.m.
KXRA Radio will air the full schedule of Alexandria Cardinal Football games this season, along with selected Soccer and Volleyball broadcasts! Here is the schedule of upcoming play-by-play coverage:
- TONIGHT (Thursday, August 30th) -- Football: CARDINALS @ Andover (Broadcast time -- 6:40 p.m.)
- Tuesday, September 4th -- Volleyball: Alexandria CARDINALS versus Willmar Cardinals @ Willmar High School (Broadcast time -- approximately 6:55 p.m.)
- Thursday, September 6th -- Volleyball: CARDINALS @ Moorhead (Broadcast time -- approximately 6:55 p.m.)
- Tuesday, September 11th -- Volleyball: CARDINALS @ Brainerd (Broadcast time -- approximately 6:55 p.m.)