(Alexandria, MN) -- The final Cardinal Sports Report for the month of September delves into how the Alexandria Cardinal Football team captured a Homecoming win for the second consecutive year.
The Cardinal Football team capped off the 2019 Homecoming with an emphatic win against the visiting Brainerd Warriors. The hosts built a 20-6 lead at the break, then created some separation with a 21-point third quarter of what would turn into a 47-6 final score. Three choice cuts of the KXRA Radio broadcast highlight this edition of the Cardinal Sports Report. Activate the audio players below for:
- The Cardinals' first score of the night, as senior quarterback Matthew Carlsen led the offensive unit down the field
- Senior defensive back Cody Branson exerted his influence while thwarting Brainerd's best opportunity to take a first half lead
- An electrifying way to start the second half of Friday's Homecoming game at Viking Bank Field in Alexandria
The victory on Friday snapped the Cardinals' four-game losing streak to Brainerd, tracking back to the 2017 Alexandria Area High School Homecoming. Two of those four victories occurred during the Section 8AAAAA playoffs in the 2017 and 2018 seasons. The Cardinals raised their record to 2-1 in the North Central Red District, and 4-1 overall. Brainerd fell to 1-3 in the North Central Red, and 1-4 overall.
Cardinals tune up for Section 8AA Tennis Tourney: Weather permitting, the Alexandria Cardinal Girls' Tennis team is slated to host a triangular this afternoon (Monday) at 3:00. Osakis and Detroit Lakes are scheduled to visit the Alexandria Area High School tennis courts. Then the regular season will conclude tomorrow, when Alexandria hosts Willmar. Alexandria's second season (the Section 8AA Tournament) is set to start on Friday.
KXRA Radio will air a number of upcoming Alexandria Cardinal events as part of our play-by-play coverage. Listen at 1490 AM, 100.3 or 105.7 FM, or stream online, at www.voiceofalexandria.com:
- TONIGHT (Monday, September 30th) -- Boys' Soccer: CARDINALS versus Sartell @ Alexandria (Viking Bank Field) (Broadcast time -- 6:40 p.m.)
- Tuesday, October 1st -- Volleyball: CARDINALS @ Saint Cloud Apollo (Broadcast time -- 6:55 p.m.)
- Thursday, October 3rd -- Volleyball: CARDINALS versus Saint Cloud Tech @ Alexandria (Pohlig Court, Alexandria Area High School) (Broadcast time -- 6:55 p.m.)
- Friday, October 4th -- Football: CARDINALS versus Saint Cloud Tech @ Alexandria (Viking Bank Field) (Broadcast time -- 6:40 p.m.)