(Alexandria, MN) -- Monday's Alexandria Cardinal Sports Report shares a segment of a post-match interview with Erika Roderick from earlier this year, retlated to the upcoming Section 8AAA Volleyball playoffs.
It has been a lengthy gap between the end of the regular season and the start of Sections for the Alexandria Cardinal Volleyball team. A segment of a KXRA Radio broadcast is included below. The one-minute discussion features senior setter Erika Roderick chatting with KXRA Sports Director Dave McClurg following the Cards' Homecoming Week win over Fergus Falls in Alexandria. Access the segment, where she mentions to D-Mac about the challenges of a hectic mid-season slate. Within eight calendar days, Alexandria played three intense matches with Willmar, Moorhead, and Brainerd, while also competing in a tournament at Chanhassen High School. At the time, Erika Roderick was also enthusiastic about the progress from and the development of a number of underclassmen getting Varsity playing time in the rotation.
The Cardinals have not played a match since the Central Lakes Conference Champion Sartell Sabres swept a three-setter in Alexandria October 8th. The extended rest between the regular season and the playoffs may have slightly benefited the Cardinals. The seeding for the Section 8AAA Tournament was posted on the Minnesota State High School League's web site on Sunday. With Willmar being shifted from Section 8 to Section 2, Becker is the newest member of the Section. Becker's Bulldogs will play in the opening round of the Section 8AAA Volleyball Tournament on Wednesday. Here is the 12-team seeding for Section 8AAA:
- Detroit Lakes
- Sauk Rapids-Rice
- Saint Cloud Apollo
- Big Lake
- Saint Cloud Tech
As a result of earning the fourth seed, the Cardinals will receive a bye into the Section 8AAA Quarterfinal round. Alexandria will host either Monticello or Tech at 7:00 Friday night at Pohlig Court inside Alexandria Area High School. KXRA Radio will have broadcast coverage.
Highlights of the week ahead for Cardinal activities include:
- Alexandria's Cross Country runners will compete on Thursday, in the Section 8AA Championships at River Oaks Golf Club in Cold Spring. The Women's Championship race is scheduled for 3:30 p.m., with the Men's Championship to follow at 4:15 p.m.
- The Cardinal Girls' Swimming and Diving team will host the Central Lakes Conference Championship Meet. The event will start up in the 10:00 hour Saturday morning, October 26th
- Alexandria's Football team will have a first-round bye into the Section 8AAAAA Semifinals. The Cardinals will host Moorhead or Saint Cloud Apollo. The Eagles will journey to Moorhead for a Section 8AAAAA Quarterfinal tomorrow night (Tuesday) at 7 p.m.
The full Cardinal Sports Report that aired on KXRA (including the September post-match comments from Erika Roderick) is included in the audio player below. The segment is just under eight minutes long.
KXRA Radio will air a number of upcoming Alexandria Cardinal events as part of our play-by-play coverage. Listen at 1490 AM, 100.3 or 105.7 FM, or stream online, at www.voiceofalexandria.com:
- Friday, October 25th -- Volleyball: CARDINALS versus Monticello or Saint Cloud Tech @ Alexandria (Pohlig Court at Alexandria Area High School) (Section 8AAA Tournament, Quarterfinal Round) (Broadcast time -- 6:40 p.m.)
- Saturday, October 26th -- Football: CARDINALS versus Moorhead or Saint Cloud Apollo @ Alexandria (Viking Bank Field at Alexandria Area High School (Section 8AAAAA Tournament, Semifinal Round) (Broadcast time -- 1:40 p.m.)