(Alexandria, MN) -- Tuesday's Cardinal Sports Report includes a portion of D-Mac's chat with senior Matthew Carlsen from the Alexandria Cardinal Football team, which will return to the gridiron on Saturday.
The Section 8AAAAA Football Tournament includes a pair of quarterfinal games today (Tuesday)....neither of which involves the Alexandria Cardinals. Alexandria is seeded second behind Bemidji. This means the Cards and the Lumberjacks receive byes into the Section semifinal round. Late last week, KXRA Sports Director Dave McClurg spoke with senior Matthew Carlsen, as he was honored as the Quality Toyota/Cardinal "Athlete of the Week" representative this season from the Cardinal Football team. The audio player below includes Matthew's remarks on what is being emphasized for the coming post-season, and how he feels it is incumbent upon himself and his fellow senior Captains to demonstrate their leadership, after Cardinals were saddled with consecutive losses at the end of the regular season.
Matthew Carlsen's "Athlete of the Week" interview that aired last Saturday on KXRA can be accessed on the Cardinal Sports page at VoiceOfAlexandria.com. The Cardinal "Athlete of the Week" interview segments are presented throughout the 2019-20 school year by Quality Toyota of Fergus Falls.
Section Football games involving North Central Red District teams this evening all have 7:00 starts:
Section 8AAAAA Quarterfinals:
- Sartell @ Brainerd (with the winner playing at Bemidji Saturday afternoon)
- Saint Cloud Apollo @ Moorhead (with the winner playing at Alexandria Saturday afternoon)
Section 6AAAAA Quarterfinals:
- Monticello @ Saint Cloud Tech (with the winner playing in Plymouth at Robbinsdale Armstrong High School Saturday afternoon)
- Sauk Rapids-Rice @ Elk River (with the winner playing at Rogers Saturday afternoon)
To hear the full seven-minute KXRA Cardinal Sports Report airing on KXRA today, access the audio in the player below.
KXRA Radio will air a number of upcoming Alexandria Cardinal events as part of our play-by-play coverage. Listen at 1490 AM, 100.3 or 105.7 FM, or stream online, at www.voiceofalexandria.com:
- Friday, October 25th -- Volleyball: CARDINALS versus Monticello or Saint Cloud Tech @ Alexandria (Pohlig Court at Alexandria Area High School) (Section 8AAA Tournament, Quarterfinal Round) (Broadcast time -- 6:40 p.m.)
- Saturday, October 26th -- Football: CARDINALS versus Moorhead or Saint Cloud Apollo @ Alexandria (Viking Bank Field at Alexandria Area High School (Section 8AAAAA Tournament, Semifinal Round) (Broadcast time -- 1:40 p.m.)