(Alexandria, MN) -- An Alexandria Cardinal Boys' Soccer update is included in the Thursday Cardinal Sports Report, plus comments from the four offensive lineman from the Cardinal Football team that spoke with D-Mac earlier this week.
Alexandria's Boys' Soccer team is scheduled to host Sauk Rapids-Rice this evening (Thursday). Two days ago, the Cardinals traveled to Willmar for a Central Lakes Conference match. Coach Brandon Johnson joins the Cardinal Sports Report with a summary below.
This evening's Varsity match at Viking Bank Field in Alexandria is slated for a 7 p.m. start.
The five interior offensive lineman from the Alexandria Cardinal Football squad were honored last Friday during the KXRA Radio broadcast, as Quality Toyota/Quality Cardinal Offensive Players of the Game. Senior Riley Covel was one of the five saluted during the radio post-game show, along with four of his teammates. Because he was under the weather and absent during the school day Tuesday, Riley Covel was not able to visit with KXRA Sports Director Dave McClurg. However, D-Mac was able to visit with the other four members of the O-line, tackle to tackle: seniors Ethan Englebrecht, Nick Langner, and Isaac Siegel, along with junior Connor Lay. They share their impressions on how the season has developed. Activate the audio players below to hear those remarks.
Alexandria, which is presently ranked fourth in the Minnesota Class AAAAA Football poll, will host sixth-ranked Bemidji at Viking Bank Field tomorrow evening. Kick-off is set for 7:00.
Thursday's Varsity activity schedule is quite full, with the outdoor events being held, weather and playing conditions permitting:
- Cross Country: CARDINALS @ Little Falls (The annual Myron Ahle Invitational at the Little Falls Country Club), 4 p.m.
- Girls' Tennis: CARDINALS slated to host Tech @ Alexandria (Alexandria Area High School tennis courts), 4:30 p.m.
- Girls' Soccer: CARDINALS @ Sauk Rapids (Sauk Rapids-Rice High School), 5 p.m.
- Girls' Swimming and Diving: CARDINALS @ the new Sartell High School (3131 Pinecone Road North), with the blended Varsity and JV meets beginning at 6 p.m.
- Boys' Soccer: CARDINALS versus Sauk Rapids-Rice @ Alexandria (Viking Bank Field), 7 p.m.
- Volleyball: Alexandria CARDINALS hosting the Willmar Cardinals @ Alexandria (Pohlig Court inside Alexandria Area High School), 7 p.m.
Football Friday highights: Prior to this coming Friday's Cardinal Football home game, the seniors on the team will travel to the elementary schools in the Alexandria district before the start of the learning day, greeting the young people and passing out player trading cards. During the game: a halftime Punt, Pass, and Kick contest will be held on the field. Fans have the option of purchasing a ticket for one dollar if they are interested in participating. Three names will be drawn before halftime Friday night, and each person in the contest will receive a prize from the Alexandria Grid Club. The winner of the P, P, and K contest will receive a cash prize. Following Friday night's game: Billmark's Insurance of Alexandria will present Autograph Night. Varsity players will be signing autographs on an Alexandria Cardinal team photo (500 of those will be available for kids and fans). Young people are invited to meet and greet the Varsity players following the home game with Bemidji.
Cardinal Youth Soccer Night on Monday! In conjunction with the Alexandria Cardinal Varsity doubleheader with the Cards hosting Saint Cloud Cathedral, the Cardinal Soccer Boosters and Alexandria Area Soccer Association will present Youth Night. Free admission and free popcorn will be offered to all kids that come to Viking Bank Field Monday evening wearing their youth soccer jersey. In addition, free t-shirts will be presented to the first 100 young people arriving at the stadium. Kids will have the chance to cheer on the Cardinals for two matches while also joining the Varsity players on the field. Prizes will also be awarded as part of Youth Soccer Night Monday evening. The schedule Monday features Cathedral versus Alexandria in Varsity Girls' Soccer at 5 p.m., followed by the Varsity Boys' Soccer match between the Crusaders and the Cardinals at 7 p.m.
KXRA Radio will air a number of upcoming Alexandria Cardinal events as part of our play-by-play coverage. Listen at 1490 AM, 100.3 or 105.7 FM, or stream online, at www.voiceofalexandria.com:
- Friday, September 13th -- Football: CARDINALS versus Bemidji @ Alexandria (Viking Bank Field) (Broadcast time -- 6:40 p.m.)
- Tuesday, September 17th -- Boys' Soccer: CARDINALS versus Moorhead @ Alexandria (Viking Bank Field) (Broadcast time -- 6:40 p.m.)
- Thursday, September 19th -- Girls' Soccer: CARDINALS versus Brainerd @ Alexandria (Viking Bank Field) (Broadcast time -- 6:40 p.m.)