(Alexandria, MN) -- Friday's Cardinal Sports Report includes post-match comments from Alexandria Area High School senior Ryan Borris, following two wins during the Saint Cloud Tech triangular Thursday which moved him past the 100-win mark in his Varsity career.
KXRA's broadcast coverage Thursday evening featured the second Alexandria match of the Wrestling triangular at Saint Cloud Tech High School, as the Tigers hosted both the Cardinals and the ROCORI Spartans. The Cards went 1-1 in the tri, falling to the hosts 46-23 in the opening match before picking up a 42-24 win against ROCORI during the KXRA broadcast later in the evening. Three Alexandria wrestlers earned two victories on the mat. Kelly Johnson pinned his opponents from Tech and ROCORI, while Cole Vatnsdal gained wins by fall and by decision.
Senior Ryan Borris also claimed victory in both of his matches Thursday evening. His technical fall against Tech's Ryan Kayfes was the 100th of his Varsity career. Victory number 101 of his prep career was a pin of the Spartans' Carter Thelen at 3:45 of the match. Following the Alexandria team victory against ROCORI, Ryan Borris spoke on the air with Ron Kirscht and KXRA Sports Director Dave McClurg to talk about the matches that he wrestled during the evening.
Thursday's victory against the Spartans raised Alexandria's dual meet record to 2-4 in the Central Lakes Conference and 4-10 overall. The Cardinals are scheduled to compete tomorrow (Saturday) in the Minnewaska Invitational at Minnewaska Area High School.
Alexandria's Girls' Nordic Ski Racing team earned a top three finish, while the Cardinal Boys' Nordic Ski Racing squad placed seventh during the annual Detroit Lakes Invitational at Maplelag Resort. Coach Jeremy Rapp has an update in the audio player below.
Tuesday's Alexandria Invitational at Andes Tower Hills will begin at approximately 2:30 Tuesday afternoon.
Also Thursday night:
- The Cardinal Boys' Swimming and Diving team suffered its first dual meet loss of the season, when Brainerd handed Alexandria a 102-84 setback. Individually, the Cards' Nicolas Welle performed well again in the sprints, placing first in the 50 and 100 freestyle events. Teammate Logan Tung won the 100 breaststroke, while the Cardinals placed first in two of the relays
- In Boys' Basketball, Sartell pulled way in the second half to post a victory at Alexandria Area High School, 73-60. The Cardinals fell to 5-2 in the Central Lakes, 7-4 overall
- Alexandria's Girls' Basketball team claimed a 54-30 victory at Detroit Lakes High School. Senior Mia McGrane tailed 12 points to go along with six steals. The Lady Cards will attempt to win a fourth straight game tonight (Friday), hosting Tartan at 7:15. The game will air on NewsTalk 1490 AM/100.3 and 105.7 FM, KXRA
- The Cardinal Girls' Hockey team roared back from a three-goal deficit to prevail at Rogers, 4-3. Kaci Trosvig scored twice as part of a four-goal second period. Alexandria will host East Grand Forks this evening at the Runestone Community Center. The Varsity puck drop is slated for 7:15
KXRA Radio will air a number of upcoming Alexandria Cardinal events as part of our play-by-play coverage (weather and travel conditions permitting). Listen at 1490 AM, 100.3 or 105.7 FM, or stream online, at www.voiceofalexandria.com:
- TONIGHT (Friday, January 10th) -- Girls' Basketball: CARDINALS versus Tartan @ Alexandria (Pohlig Court at Alexandria Area High School) (Broadcast time -- approximately 6:55 p.m.)
- Tuesday, January 14th -- Girls' Hockey: CARDINALS versus Fergus Falls @ Alexandria (Runestone Community Center) (Broadcast time -- approximately 6:55 p.m.)
- Thursday, January 16th -- Boys' Basketball: CARDINALS @ Detroit Lakes (Ralph Anderson Gymnasium at Detroit Lakes High School) (Broadcast time -- approximately 7:10 p.m.)
- Friday, January 17th -- Boys' Hockey: CARDINALS versus Saint Cloud Cathedral @ Alexandria (Runestone Community Center) (Broadcast time -- approximately 6:55 p.m.)