(Hawley, MN) -- The Clay County Sheriff says law enforcement responded appropriately to what turned out to be a phony 9-1-1 call in Hawley. Sheriff Mark Empting says it is believed the call was a case of "Swatting," that's where someone makes a false report in order to prompt a large police response. Mark Empting says the homeowner had no idea why his home was surrounded by police and was cooperative in the investigation into the call. The phony caller claimed to be holding hostages at gunpoint. The homeowner is active on You-Tube and Empting believes that may have made him a target for the swatting call.
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
A daily list of current funeral annoucements as heard on KXRA 1490 AM/100.3 FM
The daily news, sports, and events delivered daily from Voice of Alexandria.
This current sports headlines delivered daily from Voice of Alexandria.
This email is the events of the area delivered daily from Voice of Alexandria.
The big news. Sent only as it happens.
Cancellations and Delays
This email arrives only when there are cancellations or delays in the area.
- Two Found Dead in Todd County
- Son charged in death of ex-NFL lineman Bennett, wife
- Huge Free Youth Event Planned For This Sunday
- Teen Singer Makes Return Trip to State Fair Semi-Finals
- Revered "Voice Of The Cardinals", Dave Harris: Bound For MSHSL Hall Of Fame
- Fatal Crash South of Alexandria
- Construction Worker Dies In Minneapolis Accident
- Update on Viking Plaza Mall
- Full Tuesday Leads to Discussions on AIS, Budgets and County Roads
- Obituary - Kathleen “Katie” Broten, 50