(Bloomington, MN) Last Thursday, January 12th, Sue Jung was named the General Manager of the Year recipient by the Minnesota Lodging Association during an awards ceremony held in Bloomington, MN.
The General Manager of the Year Award (formerly Hotelier of the Year) recognizes professionalism, innovation, leadership and community involvement.
Jung knew she wanted to always work in hospitality ever since her first job as a 16-year-old waitress at The Traveler’s Inn Restaurant in her hometown of Alexandria. She finds immense joy in working with people every day and believes the greatest reward is helping each guest feel right at home at her hotel.
While Sue is currently General Manager of the Hampton Inn & Suites in Alexandria (which she opened back in 2008), she has also been General Manager at The Holiday Inn Anoka, The Country Inn & Suites in Coon Rapids and Chanhassen and the Regency Plaza Minneapolis. She achieved the General Manager positions after working her way up as a Dining Room Manager, Food and Beverage Manager, Director of Sales and Catering, while also helping other hotels open in the meantime! One of the reasons Sue has been so successful in the industry is due to her managerial philosophy. She strives to be a leader through motivation and strength and believes employee relationships are built on trust and respect.
Sue’s career has allowed her to see different trends in the industry take shape and understand how they have affected the industry. Even with technology changing the way industry members interact with guests, there are still small things one can do to personalize everyone’s stay. At Sue’s hotel, staff still press the pillowcases every day to ensure they are in pristine condition for each new guest…and it is noticed! Sue has received countless compliments from the guests over the years about the pillowcases alone.
Sue is on the board of directors for the Minnesota Lodging Association and the Alexandria Lakes Chamber. She is President of the Board for Explore Alexandria and is active with several other organizations as well.
The Minnesota Lodging Association honored five outstanding individuals, two lodging properties and an industry supplier at its gala Awards Ceremony on January 12 at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel. Award recipients include:
- Minnesota Hospitality Hall of Fame: Mark Dunn - Treasure Island Resort & Casino, Welch
- General Manager of the Year: Sue Jung - Hampton Inn & Suites, Alexandria
- Rising Star Award: Matthew Galaviz Reed – W Minneapolis-The Foshay and Le Meridien Chambers, Minneapolis
- Head of the House Award: Suzanne Sukalski – Hampton Inn, Fairmont
- Heart of the House Award: Jim Jarzyna – Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, Minnetonka
- Property of the Year (100 Rooms or Fewer): University Inn, Minneapolis
- Property of the Year (More than 100 Rooms): BEST WESTERN PREMIER Nicollet Inn, Burnsville
- Allied Vendor of the Year: Furniture Industries, Inc., New Hope