(Nelson, MN) For the 14th year, Alexandria Industries has taken their fundraising efforts for cancer research to the ice. Their "Fishing for the Cure" event is this Saturday afternoon at Smith Lake near Nelson, MN. It is a family-friendly fishing tournament that has been recognized by Relay for Life as one of the top funds-generator in the state.
Created by a small group of Alexandria Industries employees, the Fishing For the Cure Ice Fishing Challenge is about everyday people making a difference in the fight against cancer. At its first event held in 2007, 112 people fished and raised $620. In 2019, nearly 1,300 people participated in the tournament, including 208 children age 12 or younger. They raised $60,000 for the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life. The goal this year is to raise $75,000. Fishing For the Cure has donated more than $300,000 to find a cure for cancer over the event’s years. Details on www.fishingforthecure.net or Facebook - Fishing For the Cure.
February 15, 2020; official start time is 12 noon; tournament ends at 3 p.m.
LOCATION: Smith Lake (Douglas County) – Off Smith Lake Rd SE and County Road 82/Hwy 27 Map
TICKETS: Entry tickets are $10 thru Friday, Feb. 14. Tickets are also available for purchase on Smith Lake ($20 for adults, $10 for kids 12 & under) the day of the event. Purchase tickets at:
• Alexandria Industries – Alexandria
• Christopherson Bait Shop – Alexandria
• Elden’s Fresh Foods – Alexandria
• Paul’s Small Engines – Alexandria
• The General Store – Osakis
PRIZES awarded for the top 100 fish by largest weight and time registered in two categories
– Top 50 for large fish: walleye and northern
– Top 50 in small fish: crappie, sunfish and perch
• In the event of a tie, the first fish registered takes priority
• All entry ticket holders are eligible to win one of five amazing door prizes (must be present to win)
• Participants must observe all Minnesota fishing rules and regulations
• Tournament allows fish house shelters
• Participants can fish anywhere on Smith Lake
• Family-fun tournament is open to everyone
• Special prizes given to all kids 12 and under entered in the tournament
• $10 raffle tickets are sold by tournament committee members and where entry tickets are sold; raffle tickets also will be available during the tournament (need not be present to win)
– Ice Castle 2020 Trophy Hunter Fish House ($22,000 value)
– CF MOTO 2019 600 2-up Camo Four-Wheeler ($7,000 value)
– 2000i Honda Generator ($1,099 value)
– Four Timberwolves Tickets ($600 value)
– ION Electric Ice Auger ($450 value)
– Clam x-400 Thermal Hub Shelter ($400 value)
– Arrowwood Resort 1 Night Stay + 4 Waterpark Passes ($274 value)
– Big Buddy Heater ($135 value)
• 100% of the proceeds go to the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life of Douglas County
About Alexandria Industries
Alexandria Industries provides aluminum extrusions, precision machined products, heatsinks, and plastic injection and foam-molded components, as well as finishing and assembly services, to manufacturing companies who make products that people use everyday. Headquartered in Alexandria, Minn., Alexandria Industries has manufacturing locations in Minnesota, Indiana and Texas. See us on Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn.