(Alexandria, MN) The Alexandria Public Schools have an open position on their school board. It was made available earlier this year when Bob Cunniff resigned from the board. Jeff Patience was appointed to fill that spot on the board until an election can take place.
Patience, along with candidates Maureen Eigen and Jeremy Smith are vying for the open seat on the board. All three have appeared in previous public forums; one at Cornerstone Church, the second held at a recent Sertoma Club meeting. On Monday, July 26th all three were on KXRA's Open Line program.
They answered the following questions from moderator Joe Korkowski (AUDIO of the program BELOW):
- Can you give us a little background on yourself (your family, occupation or work experiences, education) and what are your qualifications for this position?
- Why are you running for the school board position and what is your top priority if elected to the school board?
- What are the top two things the Alexandria Public School is doing right?
- What are two areas you would like to see it improve?
- What are your thoughts on the role of public schools as it relates to the economic vitality of our community?
- What lessons were learned from the pandemic as it relates to educating our youth (whether the delivery method of our educational programs to its effects on enrollment, mental health, etc)?
- How do you feel about the current financial status of the school district and what part does the state government play in that status?
- Is there anything else voters need to know about you?
- (additional question) What have learned from this process?
The primary is set for Tuesday, August 10th. The following are ways you can vote in the primary.
Vote early in person
Starting June 25 through August 9, you can vote early in person at the Woodland Elementary Building/District Office located at 1410 S McKay Ave during regular office hours of Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Friday 7:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Vote early by mail
Request an absentee ballot by calling 320-762-2141 ext. 4213 or download an application at alexschools.org. Once you have completed the application, return it to the address noted on the back. Once the application is received, an absentee ballot will be mailed to you with instructions. Mail your ballot back in the pre-paid, pre-addressed envelope that was provided with your ballot materials. Ballots must be received by August 9.
For further information about voting by absentee ballot, including procedures and qualifications, call the District Office at (320) 762-2141 ext. 4213 or email Maggie Timm, Election Clerk at email@example.com.
Vote day of primary election
The primary for this Special Election is Tuesday, August 10. Polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Your polling location may be different than the last time you voted. Visit mnvotes.org or call 320-762-2141 ext. 4213 if you have questions about where to vote.