Making our community and world a better place – through understanding, goodwill, and peace through its fellowship of business, professional, and community leaders. That's the motto of the Alexandria Rotary Club and it's something there are living up to as well.
Recently the group partnered to help pack meals for not only Douglas County, but also Haiti. Their work could also be seen in classrooms in Honduras.
Throughout 2014 and 2015, the Alexandria Rotary Club has supported a wide variety of local, regional, and international efforts and programs that are making a significant difference to people here in the Alexandria area and in communities around the world.
College scholarships, supporting donations for non-profits, community-strengthening program sponsorships, international service program support, and many other efforts are supported by the Alexandria Rotary Club. In addition, the club participated in a number of hands-on service projects throughout the 2014-2015 year, including: Lakes Maritime Museum garden planting, Harvest Pack meal packaging to support hunger relief in Haiti and Douglas County, and an international mission trip to build desks for kindergarteners in Olanchito, Honduras.
Funds to support these and other programs are generated primarily through two annual fundraisers – the Corn & Pork Feed (taking place in partnership with the Alexandria Fire Department each August) and Rotary Rose Sale (taking place each October). The approximately 80 members of the Alexandria Rotary Club play an active role in weekly meetings, social and service activities, and fund-raising efforts.
To learn more about how the Alexandria Rotary Club is making a difference in our community and around the world, log onto http://alexrotary.com/ or attend a Rotary meeting, which take place each Thursday from 12-1pm at the Broadway Ballroom in Alexandria. The Alexandria Rotary Club is making a difference in our community and around the world, and we invite you to join us.
Programs and efforts supported in 2014-2015 include:
- Douglas County 4-H Scholarships
- Alexandria Technical & Community College Scholarships
- District 206 Dollars for Scholars Scholarships
- Camp Enterprise Scholarships (student sponsorships)
- Rotary International – Polio Eradication Efforts
- Douglas County School Districts – 3rd Grade Dictionary Distribution
- Harvest Pack – Meal Packaging and Sponsorship to Support Douglas County Food Shelf and 3rd World Hunger Relief
- Red Willow Arts Coalition – Summer Courthouse Lawn Concert
- Douglas County Car Care Program
- Miltona Science Magnet School
- Alexandria Area High School Happiness Club
- MN Lakes Maritime Museum – Summer Music & Garden Planting
- Love Inc.
- Central Global Vision Fund – 3rd World Eye Care
- Echo Press Strike Out Illiteracy
- Feed My Starving Children – Honduras Food Packaging
- Jingle Bells
- Santa For Seniors
- Douglas County Salvation Army
- Junior Achievement
- International Village Clinic in Marufpur, India
- United Way Traveling Tree House
- Runestone Museum Foundation